[time-nuts] HP Z3801A on eBay -- And check this out as well

Robert Atkinson robert.atkinson at genetix.com
Mon Jan 22 09:11:42 UTC 2007

Hi,
I also bought one of the LNFA1X4-N splitters from that seller. It
arrived OK, but being nosey I opened it anyway. Basic design looks OK
and there is a 19dB pi attenuator made of SM resistors (2x 62R 1x 220R)
on each output so it would be easy to up the gain from the nominal 0dB.
You could even have different gains on some ports. The bad news was that
it looked a little second-hand inside. Lots of flux, some of it going
"fluffy" and signs of untidy hand replacement of components. The covers
have no seals or gaskets and there are signs of corrosion between the
mating surfaces.
Overall it looks like they were refurbished units, given what we used to
call in the UK avionics industry an "American Overhaul" i.e. a quick
coat of spray paint to make them look nice, but no work inside. No
offence meant, there were a couple of unscrupulous dealers at the time.
I've not tested it yet but will report the results when I do.

Robert G8RPI.