[time-nuts] 10811 Repair - Voltage Check

Dr Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Tue Jan 23 23:37:21 UTC 2007

Jim Palfreyman wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 24, 2007 at 11:30:20 AM, Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement wrote:
>

>> Dr Bruce Griffiths wrote:
>>

>> The crystal leads are supposed to be welded to the crystal base.
>> The blue wire looks OK but the green and red wires are suspect.
>> When welding wires one doesn't use solder dipped multistrand wires.
>> Maybe the red green wires do not make good electrical contact with the
>> crystal pins.
>>

> I have to ask this...why wouldn't soldering work?
>
> Jim Palfreyman
>
> --
> www.tasmail.com

Jim

It depends on the material used for the leads.
If its in anyway similar to valve pins you will have difficulty
soldering it.
The other reason is to avoid thermal shock, the ceramic base of the
crystal may be sensitive to thermal shock.
The symptoms described building up to about right value and then slowly
dying away are consistent with a bad joint.

Bruce