[time-nuts] 75Z vs 50Z for GPS receivers

Didier Juges didier at cox.net
Sun Jan 28 23:22:31 UTC 2007

Dr Bruce Griffiths wrote:
> Didier Juges wrote:
>
>> Dr Bruce Griffiths wrote:
>>

>>> Chris

>>> For those of us who strive for the ultimate in performance with GPS
>>> timing receivers it is recommended that mismatched antenna cables not be
>>> used see:
>>>
>>> http://www.bipm.fr/wg/CCTF/CGGTTS/Allowed/Recommendations/CGGTTS-Guidelines.pdf
>>>
>>> Bruce
>>>

>> Bruce,
>>
>> They recommend that reflections be 40 dB below the main signal, so if
>> you have about 15 dB loss in the cable (as I do), you only need no more
>> than 10 dB of return loss (combined at both ends) since the reflections
>> will have to travel twice more through the cable than the main signal. I
>> believe a 1.5:1 VSWR will do that (which is obtained by matching 50 and
>> 75 ohms, magically :-) Of course, if the cable is shorter and has less
>> loss, it should be better matched. So, 50 feet of RG-59 cable will meet
>> the recommendation.
>>
>> I have most certainly overlooked something, but I should not be too far off.
>>
>> Didier KO4BB

> Didier
>
> Perhaps at the subnanosecond level one may have to take into account the
> effect of cable mismatch on the phase and group delays?
> It certainly would be useful if some measurements of the effect of using
> mismatched cables were made.
> The Thunderbolt probably has inadequate performance to discern this.
>
> They also recommend low cable attenuation.
> However the hardest part of the spec to meet is the cable delay tempco
> which is 5 to 10 times better than standard coax.
> It may be possible to meat this spec with high velocity cables (0.95c??)
> which essentially have an air dielectric.
> I guess this is why the antenna cable temperature is regulated in some
> installations.
>
> Bruce

Bruce,

You have done it again. Now, I have more ideas for interesting
experimentation and still not more time :-)

I have 3 coax runs going from my ham shack to the top of my tower to
feed the HF (14 to 30 MHz) and two VHF antennas (6m and 2m, or 50 MHz
and 144 MHz). One cable (HF) is regular RG-213, another (6m) is RG-214
(essentially like RG-213 with double shield), the last one (2m) is
Ultra-flex air dielectric (more like 9913). All 3 runs are close in
length, about 135 feet. I have fed them with the 1 PPS signal and looked
at reflections with the storage scope (that's how I know the length). It
is interesting to see the big reflection when the signal gets to the
antennas. Of course, the antennas are a poor match for the 1 PPS signal
(fortunately), so they are essentially a short circuit.

I need to take pictures, now that it is relatively cold here (everything
being relative) and take the same pictures in the summer and look for
differences between the 3 coax lines. Out of the 135 feet, 60 feet are
in the air going up the tower, 50 feet are in the ground (in a 4" PVC
pipe), the rest is in the garage and the attic, so temperature is not
well controlled or constant, but it should all vary in the same direction.

Didier