[time-nuts] 75Z vs 50Z for GPS receivers

Dave Brown tractorb at ihug.co.nz
Mon Jan 29 21:39:07 UTC 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Hawkins" <bill at iaxs.net>
To: "'Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement'"
<time-nuts at febo.com>
Sent: Tuesday, January 30, 2007 9:34 AM
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] 75Z vs 50Z for GPS receivers

> Dave Brown said, in part,
>
> "The characteristic impedance of a transmission
> line, in purely general terms, is given by the square root of R plus
> jw L divided by G plus jw C, with the usual meaning for symbols
> used."
>
> Well, I know most of those symbols, but what's gravity (G) doing in
> that equation? By dimensional analysis, G must be conductance, so we
> have Ohms^2 under the root, and the answer is in Ohms.
>
> So, what is R the resistance of, and what has conductance G?
>
> Bill Hawkins

Bill

R, L, G and C are the 'per section' basic transmission line constants.
You will find these symbols used in many of the texts on transmission
line theory. The whole idea of the model is to have series and shunt
reactive and loss (i.e. resistive) components. So R is the series
resistance, L is the series inductance, C is the shunt capacitance and
G is the 'shunt' leakage conductance.  G is just the reciprocal of the
effective ac shunt (leakage) resistance per basic line section and
accounts for dielectric loss.  It 'may' also have a DC component - if
the transmission line has poor insulation between conductors. As you
would expect,  R also is frequency dependent, although in a simple
model, such as this, it is assumed constant.

Regards,
DaveB, NZ