[time-nuts] HP5370B and GPIB

Bill Janssen billj at ieee.org
Sun Jul 1 21:07:17 UTC 2007

Brian Kirby wrote:
> If you are using a HP5370B time interval counter and logging data from
> the HPIB bus, can I inquire to what you are using for an interface to
> the HPIB bus and what do you log the data with ?
>
> I am basically trying to capture 1 second data from the 5370B using a
> Softmark USB/GPIB card - and I am not having any luck at all.
>
> I see some effects of commanding, the display on the 5370 changes or I
> get and error message - but I cannot read any sort of data back thru the
> HPIB port.
>
> I would appreciate it if one could send an example of what commands I
> need to send to set the port up and retreive the data.
>
> Brian N4FMN

Here is a short QBASIC program that I used to test my 5370A and a
National Instruments board.
the exact wording depends on the interface board you use. I hope I typed
it correctly as the machine
it is on is busy at the moment.

Good luck
Bill K7NOM

*********************************
REM the address of the 5370 is 4
Include "qbdecl" :REM NI driver & language library
OPEN "GPIB0" FOR OUTPUT AS #1
OPEN "GPIB0" FOR INPUT AS #2
TIMER ON
PRINT #1, "ABORT": REM  this sets up the NI board as controller
PRINT #1, "CLEAR 4": REM this clears the 5370
Z=1 TO 100: NEXT Z:  REM let the 5370 settle
PRINT #1, "REMOTE 4"
PRINT #1, "OUTPUT 4 #3;FN1"
PRINT #1, "OUTPUT 4, #3;SS2"
ON TIMER (10)  GOSUB 200
100 REM stay here utill timer calls
150 GOTO 100
200 PRINT #1, "ENTER 4 #24" :REM expect to get 24 characters
FOR X = 1 TO 1000: NEXT X
result$ = INPUT$(24,2):REM get 24 char. from port 2
FOR X = 1 TO 1000: NEXT X
a$=MID$(result$,5, 18):REM   discard the first 5 and the last 1 char.
a = VAL(a$)
PRINT a
RETURN
END