[time-nuts] Exact Rubidium frequency

Tom Clark, K3IO tom.k3io at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 05:34:48 UTC 2007

   [1]rlutwak at comcast.net wrote:

To the best of my knowledge, the best measurement of the Rb ground state hyperfi
ne frequency comes from the LPTF group in Paris, 6 834 682 610.904 333 Hz, with
an accuracy of a few parts in 10^15, by direct comparison of a Rb fountain to a
cesium fountain.

   The Rubidium hyperfine transition at 6.834... GHz is sensitive to the
   magnetic field -- more so than cesium or hydrogen. The builders of Rb
   standards make use of this to fine-tune the output frequency of the Rb.
   The "C" field is in fact used to tweak the frequency of a Rb. It is
   because of this sensitivity that Rb is not considered to be a "primary"
   standard.
   As usual, Tom van Baak has a nice write-up on this at
   [2]http://www.leapsecond.com/pages/hp-5065a-cfield .  For a 1 Gauss
   magnetic field change (roughly that of the earth where it is said that
   one gauss is as good as another), the frequency is shifted by ~1:10e10.
   Back in the era before NCOs (numerically controlled oscillators) and
   digital synthesizers, the reference oscillators made use of easily
   generated frequencies. Manufacturers often picked frequencies that
   could be easily generated with multipliers and small dividers. As I
   recall, the C-field was often chosen to make the tail-end digits of the
   Rb frequency ....610.904333 Hz end up at something related to (as I
   recall) 7/16kHz = 687.50000 Hz because they could generate a fixed 7/16
   generator with non-programmable logic.
   BTW -- I stumble on a pretty good (albeit with commercials) description
   of how different atomic standards work  [3]here
   Regards, Tom

References

   1. mailto:rlutwak at comcast.net
   2. http://www.leapsecond.com/pages/hp-5065a-cfield/
   3. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&ct=res&cd=10&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.accubeat.com%2Fattachments%2Fattach_52_5170970.pdf&ei=BoeIRo6GAo_cesX3iOkB&usg=AFQjCNFf1milp1nqlPQc_IHMvWRyE56Tgw&sig2=2SfDf0Olkg4TQeQ6Elv6Zw