[time-nuts] Phase jumps of HP3325A synthesizer ???

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Sun Jul 8 02:14:24 UTC 2007

In a message dated 7/7/2007 15:29:22 Pacific Daylight Time,
magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org writes:

> One  comment: as Tom explains the FireFox has a native DDS mode with 32
bits
> resolution, this is probably comparable to the HP3325.

>Not  by far. Check your facts. The HP3325A/B has the equalent of 48 bits,
but
>its synthesis is of strict BCD form. If you want to acheive integer
multiples
>of some power of 10, then you need such strict BCD forms.

Magnus,

I guess 1 microsecond resolution at 21MHz bandwidth does mean more  than 32
bits. I was just taking a guess since I don't plan on looking into,  or using
an HP3325.

Nonetheless the FireFox Signal Generator in Fractional-N mode has almost 49
bits of resolution across a bandwidth of 10 microhertz to 1640MHz. BTW: it
also  doesn't need adjustment procedures like the HP3325B, it is GPS  Disciplined
and integrated solid-state. Our next generation Signal Generator  will have a
bunch more resolution, maybe 64 bits or so. That's pretty easy to  implement
in our architecture.

There is always a tradeoff, using binary mode may give you a small phase
creep, but it does give you a lot more resolution than BCD mode at the same
bit-width.

Phase creep at 64 bit resolution on a 400MHz bandwidth gives a frequency
resolution of about 5E-011Hz, I think that should be sufficient for it gives a
resolution error of 5E-018 at 10MHz. It would take some time to measure that
phase creep.

bye,
Said