[time-nuts] HP 5370B jitter

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sun Jul 15 01:41:05 UTC 2007

From: Magnus Danielson <magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org>
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] HP 5370B jitter
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 02:54:10 +0200 (CEST)

Hej fellow time-nuts,

> So, no more 5 MHz with overtones on my HP5370B thanks to this quick fix.
>
> Self-referenced jitter did not change significantly thought. It is actually
> slightly higher numbers, but that may be due to heatup or something. I noticed
> that during my previous run too.

After carefull tuning of the input trigger level while still running +/- TI and
1k samples, I am now down to the 13.0-15.0 ps RMS range. The MEAN for those
numbers is at -1.85 ns.

This by itself should be an interesting little piece of knowledge and
correlates well with what is to be expected.

To acheive these numbers for a broader range of TI values one would have to
work a bit on the instrument thought. It is nice to know that it can reach down
there at least.

Cheers,
Magnus