[time-nuts] 5370A jitter - What to look for

Bill Janssen billj at ieee.org
Mon Jul 16 23:30:12 UTC 2007

I need to fix my HP 5370A jitter to reduce it to something reasonable.
It is now about 3 nano seconds and is partially periodic. It is not
totally random
If I plot the data (using plotter) I see what looks like two oscillators
beating against
each other with superimposed jitter

Wondering if that has a known source or do have to find the problem my
self :-)
I do not have the two matched cables and the pulse generator to do the
complete alignment.
I do have a spectrum analyzer to do the 200 MHz. alignment

I can send the data file if that is permitted.

Bill K7NOM