[time-nuts] HP5532A for free

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Wed Jul 18 02:35:00 UTC 2007

From: SAIDJACK at aol.com
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] HP5532A for free
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 22:20:32 EDT

> ); SAEximRunCond expanded to false
>

> In a message dated 7/17/2007 19:12:15 Pacific Daylight Time,
> magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org writes:
>
> >My  old HP 523C does not have Nixie-tubes, such modern shit. No, it uses
> pure
> >neon lamps which light up a little display of 0-9. :)
> >I  only have a 5-digit one, but there are others that had 6  digits.
>

> I have an old Nixie tube desktop calculator somewhere, it uses diodes as  the
> active calculating elements. DCL they called it I think. Wow. It's got  some
> 6 digit precision if I remember correctly.

Wow! I have a drum-machine with a sequencer operating that way, but no counter.
Having seen Zuse Z3 in action brings you perspective. :)
22 bit floating point in relays. :)

Let's see if we can't get something similar out of DCL. Now where's that bag of
1N4148 I bought a few years back! :)

> I can see a blue glow inside some of the Nixie tubes, I am sure those tubes
> generate IR, X-ray and all sorts of other stuff that makes the mice die around
>  the house...

IR yes - some, bring your palm up and feel the heat. But the tubes inside is
better at it.
X-ray - no much really. Too low voltage (150 V?) to really become a hazard.
Those TV-tubes you smashed as a kid was running as high as 25 kV and that is
the normal limit, but the thick glas is there for a reason.
If the mice dies around the house, suspect the neighbor cat of not doing its
job propperly, if they only disappear be happy about him or her not being THAT
lazy. :)

Cheers,
Magnus