[time-nuts] Oncore VP problem

Randy Warner randy at geodetics.com
Thu Jul 19 16:14:34 UTC 2007

Nigel,

The bouncing mouse is always a fun problem. If you go up to the Synergy at:

http://www.synergy-gps.com/images/stories/ShopTalk/disabling detection of
microsoft ballpoint mouse.pdf

there is an old paper I wrote about this problem. Disabling the mouse in the
Windows system folder works pretty well, but on more than one occasion I
have seen it mysteriously reappear. As you noted, this only happens when the
receiver is plugged in during a boot. If the receiver is plugged in during a
boot, unplugging it and plugging it back in will not help. Apparently this
is a system variable that is set during boot.

The second half of the paper is the registry fix that Rick Hambly showed me
several years ago. I think this method is included in his TAC32 user
manuals. This is the way to REALLY shut the serial mouse down for good.

Note that this problem is not limited to VP receivers. If you have anything
plugged into a serial port outputting data during boot that your computer
thinks is valid mouse data the same thing will happen.

Best regards,

Randy Warner
Senior Applications Engineer
Geodetics, Inc.