[time-nuts] Homebrew primary standard?

Rick Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Fri Jul 27 18:35:49 UTC 2007

Wow, as a member of the 5071 cesium R&D team, I couldn't imagine
a homebrew cesium standard.  There is so much knowledge involved
in building one, plus you need high vacuum equipment, etc.  "Big"
cesiums like NIST-7 have a group of post docs to tend to them.

Now you did say "primary" but if you were willing to look at secondary
standards, a Rb might just barely be possible if you can somehow
get the glassware.  I also designed a Rb and there is much to learn
there as well, although a lot less than cesium.

Ask someone else about H masers and homebrewing.  Don't know much
about those.  They seem "simple" to me, as an ignorant bystander.

Rick Karlquist