[time-nuts] solar flares and cesium drift

Alan Melia alan.melia at btinternet.com
Fri Jun 8 18:05:24 UTC 2007

I dont know about the cesium, but I can advise that in my opinion there have
not been any major geomagnetic storms in the past few days. In fact nothing
different to what has been happening for most of the last month. If anything
it is relatively quiet. Solar flares do not produce an magnetic effect, they
are purely radiation. What often happens is the emission of an associated
CME and the currently active area #960 was right on the limb of the visible
disc when the flares occured so any CME missed us. I supose it is possible
that the radiation has affected the accuracy of GPS as received after
passing through the ionosphere, but surely this would have been corrected
very quickly?

Cheers de Alan G3NYK