[time-nuts] solar flares and cesium drift

Raimond Melkers Raimond.Melkers at L-3Com.com
Sat Jun 9 01:19:11 UTC 2007

I'll be collecting, and analyzing the data from about 40 cesium's, so it'll
take me a bit, but as soon as I have it, I'll pass it along. thanks for the
dates to look at.

Rai

-----Original Message-----
From: time-nuts-bounces at febo.com [mailto:time-nuts-bounces at febo.com] On
Behalf Of tom jones
Sent: Friday, June 08, 2007 18:54
To: time-nuts at febo.com
Subject: [time-nuts] solar flares and cesium drift

  I dont know about the cesium, but I can advise that in my opinion there
have not been any major geomagnetic storms in the past few days. In fact
nothing different to what has been happening for most of the last month. If
anything it is relatively quiet. Solar flares do not produce an magnetic
effect, they are purely radiation. What often happens is the emission of an
associated CME and the currently active area #960 was right on the limb of
the visible disc when the flares occured so any CME missed us. I supose it
is possible that the radiation has affected the accuracy of GPS as received
after passing through the ionosphere, but surely this would have been
corrected very quickly?

Cheers de Alan G3NYK

  Hi Alan

  What I was looking at was the xray events this past week from sunspot #960
There has been about 40 medium size xray events and I assumed that
geomagnetic events went hand in hand with xray events and thought it was an
explanation for my cesium/loran drift.

   I was wondering what specific dates you had this observation? I'd like to
compare that data, against some of the data I have.

Raimond Melkers

Hey Raimond here is my data please sent yours if possible.

  From 17:26pdt on  6-04-07
  To     07:20pdt on  6-05-07 I lost 40 to 50ns  and continuing
  To     21:38pdt on  6-05-07 I lost another 10ns to 20ns and continuing
  To     05:23pdt on  6-06-07 I lost another 100ns to 110ns (strong winds )
continuing
  To     06:13pdt on  6-07-07 I lost another 50ns  and continuing
  To     17:45pdt on  6-08-07 I gained         90ns  could today gain be a
gps correction?

    Happy Time keeping:
   Tom

  My orignal posting:

  We've had several solar flares this past week.  My cesium standard has
lost about 200ns as compared with fallon loran and gps.
  I was showing approximately 10 to 30 nanoseconds cesium drift  the
previous weeks when
  solar activity was quiet.
  I'm assuming all the drift I'm observing is my cesium standard (5061) and
not loran or gps
  especially because loran is steered by gps and gps is steered by usno-amc.

  Has anyone else noticed any extra cesium drift this week?
  I'm assuming this drift is due to changes in the earth geomagnetic field
due to solar activity?