[time-nuts] another Ebay mixup

Didier Juges didier at cox.net
Sat Jun 9 12:15:24 UTC 2007

Hi Said,

Good! But upsetting when sellers do not do their due diligence to
properly pack and therefore damage equipment that would have been just
fine. I was very upset, and at the end very lucky when I bought my
8657B, which was shipped bare in a large box with what must have been
not more than a dozen peanuts thrown in. The beautiful instrument was
damaged, but luckily it was easily fixed. It could have been MUCH worse.

I think the single shot *resolution* of the TIC is 20pS, but in my
experience the jitter is quite a bit more. So I think 50 pS STDEV with
only 100 averages is in the ballpark.  Both of mine (5370A) are out of
commission at the moment because of either poor sockets or tin whiskers,
maybe both. For both units, I can take the chips out of the sockets and
put them back in, and the instruments will work for a while, then they
will loose their brains again. I have planned to replace the sockets,
but have not come around to it yet. I use the 5334B in the mean time.

You may want to run it through the cal because there are a lot of things
that can go wrong without providing obvious clues on these counters.

Didier