[time-nuts] another Ebay mixup

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Sat Jun 9 19:57:59 UTC 2007

In a message dated 6/9/2007 04:59:13 Pacific Daylight Time,
cfharris at erols.com writes:

>Bubble wrap is ok for light little things, but not for heavy pieces  of test
>equipment.  They need carefully fitted dense foam, and  double boxing.

>-Chuck Harris

Hi Chuck,

on the HP stuff (5370B etc) it wouldn't take more than a minute to remove
both handles to prevent what happened to my unit when using bubblewrap. But yes,
 shipping heavy units is tough to do right. So far I've had:

A Tektronix scope and an Agilent scope shipped to me with less than 1 inch
of simple "pellets" on all sides. The pellets were crushed of course, and both
scope's protruded through the packaging when I got the disasters at my  door.

Same happened to a big scope we had sent to our work ($50K new, and they
spent $5 on packaging). A total of four units damaged so far. And UPS/Fedex/USPS
don't feel responsible due to incorrect packaging.

Don't know why it's so difficult for folks to overpack. Worst case, one  can
have it professionally packed at MailBoxes etc. or the like.

bye,
Said