[time-nuts] new paper on Allan Variance errors

Jeffrey Pawlan jpawlan at pawlan.com
Thu Jun 14 20:19:09 UTC 2007

Sorry about that. The IEEE used to charge $5 so that I why I wrote "nominal".

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007, Brooke Clarke wrote:
> There's been quite a bit of discussion of how Google will point you to ....

 I get this very thing for all the other professional societies that have good
papers but I am not a member of those. Some charge horrendous amounts. Some even
demand a year's subscription just to download one paper.

Sometimes I find that I need the paper badly enough that I write to the authors
and ask them for a copy. Most will be happy to send it to you. I did this to A.
Poddar at Synergy Microwave who has published several papers usually with Rohde
on microwave oscillators, phase noise, and also mixers. He refused to send me a
copy of any of his papers and simply told me to buy them from the IEEE or the
other organizations where he presented them.

An annoying alternative for me is to drive up to the Stanford Univ engineering
library and photocopy them. The time spent plus the parking cost me a lot more
than $35 and I think IEEE knows that and thus increased their price.

Regards,

Jeffrey Pawlan