[time-nuts] My Casio G-Shock watch and other fun stuff

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Thu Jun 21 15:40:22 UTC 2007

> Hi Tom:
>
> How was that data taken with, a Microset or some other way?
> It's interesting in that it shows the rate was not adjusted.

Brooke,

Since that watch is quartz analog I used a magnetic pickup
to detect the 1PPS. Amplified, this then went into a 53131A
counter using a GPS 1PPS as reference. I collected data
for a couple of weeks, including hiding the wristwatch inside
a metal soup can to force it to fail to sync with WWVB.

It's harder to pull this off with a LCD digital watch. One must
resort to optical detection (as Jim described in this thread)
or possibly direct audio or RF monitoring of the faint 32 kHz
oscillator signal.

/tvb