[time-nuts] bad lcd readout on austron 2100 loran

Daun Yeagley daun at yeagley.net
Fri Jun 29 18:02:42 UTC 2007

Along the lines of a bad connection, a common problem I have seen with LCD
displays is the "zebra strip" elastomer connection to the LCD itself.
Basically, this is an elastomer strip that has conductive stripes and it is
squeezed between the glass edges of the display and the underlying PC board.
They are usually captivated by a metal assembly and held in place by bent tabs.
You would release the tabs to get the parts out, clean them carefully and
reassemble.  I have repaired a number of various displays this way.
On a similar note, I see a lot of newer consumer items with LCD's are now just
gluing a ribbon cable between the display and board.  Problem is that as they
age, the connections get bad and you start loosing display segments.  I would
presume that the remedy for this is to clean and re-glue, but I have not yet
seen a suitable glue for such purposes.  Has anyone else?  If so, I'd sure like
to know so I can fix a few of them!

Daun