[time-nuts] Low noise frequency multiplication

Rex rexa at sonic.net
Thu Mar 1 11:00:21 UTC 2007

On Thu, 1 Mar 2007 01:19:31 +0200, "Stephan Sandenbergh"
<stephan at rrsg.ee.uct.ac.za> wrote:

>How difficult is it to multiply a frequency standard from 10MHz to 100MHz?

WA1ZMS has successfully done the kind of thing you want to do. He used a
clean 5 MHz OCXO as a source to generate milimeter wave LO's. See the
doubler and direct synthesizers shown here:

http://www.mgef.org/zms_134_VUCC.htm
and
http://www.mgef.org/zms_241_vucc.htm

In addition to a doubler, one of those schemes uses x9 and another x11.
Seems to me that a similar approach with x2 followed by x5 might be
worth trying. Note that he does use a crystal as a filter on the output.

I intended to try this approach myself last fall, but got distracted
before the actual experiments. I still plan to try it soon.