[time-nuts] Low noise frequency multiplication

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Thu Mar 1 13:38:45 UTC 2007

In a message dated 2/28/2007 15:20:56 Pacific Standard Time,
stephan at rrsg.ee.uct.ac.za writes:

It  describes a way in which an analogue odd-order frequency multiplier  could
be built cheaply with superior noise characteristics. This circuit  that is
described is really simple and quite ingenious. Unfortunately, I  would like
to multiply by 10 (an even number) so I still need a way to at  least
multiply by 2. Commercial low-noise multipliers are in general much  more
expensive than my OCXO. So now I am curious if there is an easy and  reliable
way to get a 10MHz sine up to 100MHz without degrading the phase  noise.

Hi Stephan,

one way to do it is using a DDS, say one of the new 1Gs/s 14-bit  DAC units
from Analog Devices:

bring the 10MHz up to 1GHz using a 1 to 100 PLL and a low-phase noise 1GHz
VCO or 1GHz crystal (these 1GHz low-jitter crystal Oscillators have  recently
been advertised).

Then use the DDS to generate 100MHz at 1Gs/s.

Noise floors of <-155dBc/Hz can be easily achieved with a good DDS. You  will
need is a low pass at around <400MHz to remove aliases etc.

One advantage of this is that you can generate essentially any frequency in
<1Hz steps up to about 400MHz (without having a frequency-dependent  noise
floor on the DDS output).

You could get a DDS eval board from Analog to do this.

This is essentially what the Jackson-Labs FireFox Synthesizer  does.

bye,
Said
http://www.aol.com.