[time-nuts] FreeBSD with Garmin GPS 18 LVC

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sun Mar 4 02:38:57 UTC 2007

> The only link I've set up is in the /etc/devfs.conf:
> link cuaa1 refclock-0
> link cuaa1 pps0

> The problem with this is my serial port with the GPS is /dev/cuad0.
> I've also tried plugging that in with no difference.

I'm not familiar with the FreeBSD version of ntp.  They might have "fixed"
some things.  But that seems unlikely for things like this.

The NMEA driver (20) tries to open /dev/gps<n>.
You are expected to set that up as a (symbolic?) link to the right tty
device, whatever your system calls them.

If you don't have that setup, I'd expect ntpd to exit during startup after
leaving an error message in /var/log/messages (or your ntp log file).

I don't understand the cua vs tty stuff on FreeBSD.  My system has links to
tty rather than cua.  (I'm running 6.0-RELEASE)

The /dev/refclock is used by the parse driver.  I haven't used it.  If that's
the way you are trying to go, then you need something other than 20 in server
127.27.20.x