[time-nuts] Thunderbolt

TheInfamousFlavio at hotmail.com TheInfamousFlavio at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 4 04:09:01 UTC 2007

Actually, from what I understand there is no power conditioning board.  A
regular Thunderbolt has two boards.  A processing board and a power
conditioning board stacked on top of each other.  The power condition board
is whole bunch more that just a DC-DC converter.  These 1/2 Thunderbolts
need alot of external conditioning.  You cannot just hookup a switching
power supply from Lamda or whatever.  You need to spend alot of time and
money to get these boards powered up with clean, stable power.  That's just
the power.  I don't even want to think about other issues this things might
have.  A standard Thunderbolt is worth much more than one of these.  I
wouldn't think of buying one of these unless I was willing to spend a long
time (and money)  building the power supplies.   Remember it's got to be
stable as well as clean-- a couple of hijacked computer power adapters ain't
gonna cut it.

-Flavio