[time-nuts] Setting Osc Frequencies

Dr Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Mon Mar 5 10:16:21 UTC 2007

Robert Atkinson wrote:
> Hi Bruce,
> It's a while since I looked at the HP circuit and patent, but if I
> recall correctly a lot of the performance relied on the input circuit.
> This used a line receiver with feedback. When I looked there did not
> seem to be an equivalent receiver chip available. I'm aware of the sine
> -square conversion thread that ran a while ago, but guess this needs as
> much attention as the phase comparator.
>
> Robert.

Robert

Equivalent or better performance ECL line receivers are readily
available but not necessary if the upper frequency limit is restricted
to 20MHz or so.
When HP designed this comparator performance was inadequate, this is no
longer true.
I have successfully used 10216 triple ECL differential line receivers in
the past in constant fraction discriminators, however I would do things
a little differently with more modern components.

The feedback was used to implement a Schmitt trigger with about 10mV of
hysteresis.
This function can easily be implemented with a modern high speed
comparator like an ADCMP600/601.

However if you really want to push the performance envelope (and cost)
by using SiGe ECL parts then using a wideband (3GHz) ECL differential
line receiver is a better option.

I believe that an upper frequency limit of 20MHz (compatible with high
speed (> 100MHz) CMOS logic would keep the cost within bounds and
satisfy most needs since one can always use a prescaler to bring the
frequency down below 20MHz. The gain tempco could also easily be made
very low when CMOS parts are used.
 The modified circuit would in fact produce 2 linear phase outputs in
phase quadrature so one of the outputs is always well away from the
limits of its output range where nonlinearities due to the limitation on
the minimum pulse width that the exclusive OR gates can produce. Just
log both outputs and sort out which to use in software when analysing
the data. The quadrature outputs enable cycle slips to be unambiguously
tracked and accounted for.

The other option is to use more standard 3GHz ECL flipflops etc which
would raise the cost somewhat but not to the levels of a full SiGe ECL
implementation.

Bruce