[time-nuts] Austron 1210D Manual Update

Brian Kirby kirbybq at bellsouth.net
Sat Mar 10 01:30:33 UTC 2007

PMEL is the correct term in the Air Force.  It stands for Precision
Meteorological Electronic Lab, it the branch of the Air Force that does
test equipment calibration.

The 1210D was standard test equipment for labs that did not have
rubidiums and cesiums, which was quite a few.

When I worked in satellite communications back in the late 70s, early
80s, I seen a lot of these units (1210D).  We used HP cesium beams at
the earth stations.  These units were tracked back the USNO, and we used
a modem to do time transfer over the air, to check the cesiums drift.
The cal labs brought there 1210D's to our site about every 30 days to
calibrate and sync the 1210s.