[time-nuts] Austron 1210D Manual Update

Steve Krull steve-krull at cox.net
Sat Mar 10 02:03:36 UTC 2007

Close, but not quite. PMEL is an acronym for Precision Measurement Equipment Laboratory. They are metrology labs tasked with maintenance and operation of the standards for electrical (voltage, current, resistance, frequency, and time) as well as mechanical standards for weight, pressure, etc. Larger labs also had optics and radiation cal facilities. They also calibrated and repaired the working standards and test equipment used by the rest of the base, tenant units, and off-site facilities. I spent 8 years of active duty time, and several more in the ANG, running the time/frequency and RF sections of various PMELs stateside and overseas.
We used the 1210D as a transfer standard to set the timing on everything from comm links to missile launch crypto links. We had a time/frequency console with Cs and Rb standards, as well as HP and Fluke VLF receivers, and a host of HP and Sulzer crystal oscillators, and a fairly sophisticated cross-comparison system. The 1210's were adjusted against the console, driven directly to the silos, and rechecked on return to the lab. The specs for allowable error over the time they were out of the lab are still classified, even though the missile systems are gone. My last couple of years in an air national guard unit, we switched to GPS-disciplined timing standards to set TOD/WOD codes for the secure air-to-air and air-to-ground comm systems. Wish I could remember the manufacturer of the units, Magnavox I think. They were three-piece systems in supposedly EMP-proof boxes, and took three men and a boy to move around.
Steve Krull