[time-nuts] Delay through GPS antenna splitter/amplifier -- ananswer, and a question

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Mon Mar 12 16:57:34 UTC 2007

> If I understand correctly looking at the graphs, they are saying the time
> from GPS is currently off about 24-30ns from the NIST frequency standard. So
> does that mean that a person wanting every last ns should adjust their delay
> according to the data on that page (and of course things like cable delay
> and other circuitry)?
>
> Jason

It means a person wanting every last ns should adjust their
expectations. There's no point in measuring your cable
delays to the foot when there may be tens of ns of delay in
the antenna, the survey, the cable, the splitter, the receiver,
etc. Not to mention multipath, antenna/cable tempco...

When you get to the sub-100 ns level UTC is not GPS. And
UTC(NIST) isn't UTC(USNO). Even the national labs don't
agree down to the last ns.

/tvb