[time-nuts] Delay through GPS antenna splitter/amplifier -- an answer, and a question

Magnus Danielson cfmd at bredband.net
Mon Mar 12 17:26:37 UTC 2007

From: John Ackermann N8UR <jra at febo.com>
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Delay through GPS antenna splitter/amplifier -- an answer, and a question
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 13:17:50 -0400

> Magnus Danielson wrote:
>
> > I would use TDR/TDT for that. :)
>
> My buddy the expert tells me that using frequency sweep rather than
> pulse techniques is preferred these days.  With multi-GHz sweeps, you
> can get better resolution, and you also minimize the problems that
> strong external signals can cause when you're measuring a feedline with
> an antenna at the end.

The TDR I have access to is far supperiour to the FDR in the E5071A. The main
reason is that the bandwidth of the E5071A is limited (8.5 GHz).

Network analysers have a far supperiour dynamics, but timing precission miss
out a little. Measuring the group delay would however be a much better solution
if possible (i.e. access to both sides and with suitable connectors).

Cheers,
Magnus