[time-nuts] Delay through GPS antenna splitter/amplifier--ananswer, and a question

Ulrich Bangert df6jb at ulrich-bangert.de
Wed Mar 14 18:57:50 UTC 2007

This brings the following story back in my mind:

When I was a student at the university of Bochum/Germany the department
of physics owned an electron synchrotron and storage ring. Not really a
big gun in international terms but with 800 MeV energy also not exactly
a child's toy. Once a year the university had its "open day" when the
public was invited to visit the numrerous research facilities.

There was this old lady who had listened to the lecture that the
scientist responsible for the accelerator had given. Although the
lecture had clearly been public-adressed she had hardly understood a bit
of what it all was about. After the lecture, when the other vistors had
already left the laboratory, she talked to the scientist: "Sir, thank
you for your highly interesting lecture. Its just that I missed one
thing: What do you need it for?"

The scientist, anticipating that explaining it to the old lady might be
a task of hours or perhaps impossible, answered: "Mam, it is kind of a
hobby of mine. You know, other men own model railways and watch the
small trains running in circles. What I do is pretty much the same only
with electrons and at a bit more speed". The old lady went away
completely satisfied because now she had really understood....

Cheers
Ulrich Bangert, DF6JB