[time-nuts] Question for the cesium nuts.

Magnus Danielson cfmd at bredband.net
Fri Mar 16 21:57:19 UTC 2007

From: "Rob Kimberley" <rk at timing-consultants.com>
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Question for the cesium nuts.
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 21:44:52 -0000

> Interesting question!!
>
> Don't think we'll see an H2 MASER on EBay, as just too expensive, plus only
> a few made each year. Rather large beasts - see the link below, and
> installed & commissioned by manufacturer on site. The active ones are in the
> $150K - $200K price range new, passive ones less. Symmetricom also make one
> - the old Sigma Tau company down in in Alabama which FTS/Datum bought. I was
> involved in bidding a Russian one last year in the UK.
>
> http://www.kvarz.com/pdf/05%20CH1-75A.pdf (Active MASER)
>
> http://www.kvarz.com/pdf/06%20CH1-76A.pdf (Passive MASER)
>
> for further reading.

Oscilloquartz introduced a passive maser fairly recently. They also had an
active going I beleive, but I don't think it has hit the market yeat.
Observatoir Neuchatel also makes masers, but active ones.

Again, there isn't as many makes of physical packages as there is of clocks.

There have been reports in frequency shift due to shifts in humidity and that
this differs between the models available on the market. I don't have any hard
data at hand to support this thought.

Cheers,
Magnus