[time-nuts] Question for the cesium nuts.

Didier Juges didier at cox.net
Sun Mar 18 02:46:40 UTC 2007

Thomas A. Frank wrote:
>>> The test is called the "hammer blow" test.
>>>
>> Why do I picture a large steel hammer on a swing setup with a DUT as
>> targeted
>> endpoint?
>>

> Because that's pretty much how it's done :-)
>
> OK, the DUT is sitting on a big steel table and the hammer hits the
> table not the piece, but still...you would be amazed at how far the
> pieces fly sometimes.
>
> Tom Frank, KA2CDK

It is described in MIL-STD-901. Depending on the mass of the equipment
you are testing, there is a *light* hammer and a *heavy* hammer.
I have had some of my equipment tested to that level. The peak
acceleration is in the 150-200G and the waveshape is very sharp, with
lots of harmonics, to make sure ALL resonances are excited.

Didier KO4BB