[time-nuts] GPS Signal Strength Through Roof?

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Mon Mar 19 18:22:35 UTC 2007

> I was planning on mounting one of those Lucent 26dB antennas in my
> attic, and was wondering what the signal strength would be like
> through the asphalt shingles.  ...

Can you try it with some sort of kludge setup before you make a clean
installation?

I use one in my junk room.  It only mostly works when it's up near the
ceiling.

I'm in a one story stucco house.  There is probably metal screening in the
walls.  The signal has to go through the roof and the ceiling.

I'm feeding a Z3801A.  It gets up to 6 satellites some of the time, down to 1
about as often.

In the last ~40 hours, there was 1 short dropout to 0 satellites.  Dropouts
are more frequent when it rains.