[time-nuts] Government Liquidation

Robert Atkinson robert.atkinson at genetix.com
Tue Mar 20 09:02:16 UTC 2007

Hi,
Just for any UK lurkers, GL also sell in the UK and I've bought from them. There are a few issues,
1 Very poor descriptions a photo of a cardboard box doesn't tell yell you much!
2 Tender only, not an auction, so you really need to know how much you want to pay. There is no way of knowing what the lot finally sold for unless you win it. They do have minimums, sometimes listed, sometimes your bid is just rejected.
3 Viewing is a pain
4 payment and collection deadlines are a pain, all biased to their convenience.
5 Items "disappear" from lots, if you argue they sometimes reappear, sometimes not. If you use a collection agent it's a lucky dip.
6 Items get pulled after you spent time and money viewing them.
7 Lot sizes vary from one worthless metal bracket with a £50 minimum to 10 tons of scrap metal with a couple of nice bits of T&M thrown in. Lot descriptions on size and weight can be inaccurate.

Generally it's hardly worth the bother, I think a few dealers, scrap merchants and people with time on their hands who are local to the Sale site do OK but otherwise I think they need to improve the service.

Robert.