[time-nuts] Frequency counter recommendations

Didier Juges didier at cox.net
Tue Mar 20 17:29:05 UTC 2007

The HP 5334 is a nice counter. I have the B model. The A model has a few more features (particularly math functions), but the front end is more easily damaged. For Time Interval measurements, both models are equivalent.
Be aware the built-in standard timebase is not very good. It is also hard to adjust precisely. As a frequency counter, the instrument would be more useful with the high-stability timebase, or an external timebase.

The internal timebase is fine if you intend to use the Time Interval function (such as when comparing oscillators), for which you do not need great absolute acuracy, as long as the time interval you measure is small and you keep the instrument at constant temperature.

I also have an HP 5316, which has the same basic feature set as the 5334, with slightly lower resolution in Time Interval mode. My HP 5316 has an easier to adjust time base, even though I am not sure it is more stable.

Both have the GPIB interface, which makes it really nice to plot Allan Deviation.

I have a couple of pages on counters and timing at :
http://www.ko4bb.com/Timing/index.html

This is pretty basic stuff, which reflects my limited knowledge of the subject...

While you are there, you may want to check my GPIB page too at:
http://www.ko4bb.com/Test_Equipment/index.html

Didier KO4BB