[time-nuts] Frequency counter recommendations

Gerald Molenkamp geraldm at iprimus.com.au
Wed Mar 21 10:39:14 UTC 2007

Hi All,

For over 12 years I have been running a HP53131 12 digit counter and the freeware Agilent IntuiLink Connectivity Software via an old NI IEEE-488 GPIB to Ethernet.

>From a functionality point of view it is by far the best counter I have used. Coupled with Intuilink S/W in EXCEL as an add-ins, graphs, long term statistics and drift performance can be presented easily. I recently installed a HP10811 as an after market add-on,  as a portable device it's now as accurate as any portable counter can be.

Although the 53131 with no options is limited to 250 MHz, my next project is a channel C prescaler that will take the unit to 3GHz or beyond.

If any one has added a home brew Channel C, please let me know how it turned out.

Regards

Gerald