[time-nuts] Another manual request: Rohde & Schwarz SMG?

Paul Boven p.boven at xs4all.nl
Fri Mar 23 20:36:49 UTC 2007

Hi Robert, everyone,

Robert Atkinson schreef:

> Things change even in the same model but the R&S LCD's of this era that
> I've seen have had incandescent backlights. The trouble is that if you
> can still see the display with one light working no-one bothers until
> both go. They are all the same age and life expectancy so multiple
> failures are probable. They could be in series. Even LED's (and
> resistors) fail and are more likely to be in series. If R&S list the SMG
> as no longer supported, failed backlights could even be why it was
> surplussed!

Much progress today: I've opened up the unit, and was pleasantly
surprised by how easy it is to service. You were right, the display is
being lit by miniature incandescent bulbs, 4 in total, because there's
only 1 light between adjacent displays. An all 4 measure open, so
they're clearly burnt out.
R&S Netherlands were very helpful, and I've just ordered 6 replacement
lightbulbs (they don't do orders below €50,-).

To be continued...

Regards, Paul Boven
73 de PE1NUT