[time-nuts] need power trans. for HP3325

Dr Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Sun Mar 25 22:55:42 UTC 2007

Didier Juges wrote:
> Even though you may have to be careful about noise, and assuming the
> operating voltages are not exotic, you can probably find an
> off-the-shelf switching supply that will fit where the transformer and
> linear supplies were, with lots of room to spare, and significantly
> reduced heat dissipation. I am thinking about doing that with the 5370,
> considering how hot the rear heat sink runs.
>
> Didier KO4BB

Didier

Replacing the HP5370 power supply with switching regulators will be a
somewhat challenging exercise in ensuring that switching regulator noise
doesn't degrade the 5370 performance. Even verifying this will be
challenging.  If you don't burn yourself on the external heatsink there
should be no problem with reliability of the linear regulators.

Bruce