[time-nuts] Hello (pictures)

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Wed Mar 28 21:03:02 UTC 2007

> Neville,
>
> I'd like to look at your pictures, but Yahoo wants to sell me stuff.

A growing pet peeve of mine: people who turn up their noses when they don't
get something for nothing.

Hosting a listserv is not 100% free and trivial; just ask John A. (and thank
him, too, while you're at it, because it's also a thankless job.)  Does
Yahoo throw ads in your face at every possible opportunity?  Sure.  But they
also give you a nice way to manage lists with thousands of members, 100 MB
of storage, and apparently-unlimited access bandwidth to it.  Reliability is
on par with any other list-management system, and has been for years.  They
also claim that they will offer "unlimited" mail capacity, whatever that
means, starting in May.

Either way you are getting a lot of functionality and resources for nothing.
I can stand to ignore a few ads in exchange for what they provide.

> Synchronome wants a real email address, and that they won't get.

Well, they need to send you mail to authenticate the account, if nothing
else.  Why not get a (free, again) throwaway account at Yahoo or GMail just
for that purpose?  I really don't understand all the angst about Yahoo and
their ads.  They are pretty far down the list of potential daily
irritations, you've got to admit.  It's not like they're spamming you.

-- john, KE5FX