[time-nuts] Ultra low phase noise floor measurement system for RF devices.

Dr Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Sat Mar 31 02:13:42 UTC 2007

SAIDJACK at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 3/30/2007 16:02:15 Pacific Daylight Time,
> bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz writes:
>
> It does  in fact measure below the thermal noise floor.
> This is not too difficult as  it uses a crosscorrelation technique.
>
> Bruce
>

> Hi Bruce,
>
> interesting how microphonic effects would affect the results.
>
> I see my instrumentation jumping by several 1E-12 units everytime I walk
> into the lab since my benches are not shock insulated.
>
> At -200dBc (we have to think about that number for a while!!) - that's
> counting single electrons every couple of seconds I would think...
>
> bye,
> Said

Said

Actually I should have said -200dBc/Hz.
With a +13dBm carrier this corresponds to a noise voltage of 100pV/rtHz
across a 50 ohm resistor or a noise current of 2pA/rtHz  flowing through it.
Even with a 1Hz noise bandwidth thats an rms fluctuation of about
12,500,000 electrons. You have to get down to noise currents of  around
1attoAmpere/rtHz before you start "counting" individual electrons.

Yes vibration isolation, is essential which is why their prototype was
built on a vibration isolated optical table.

Bruce