[time-nuts] Ultra low phase noise floor measurement system for RF devices.

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Sat Mar 31 23:16:45 UTC 2007

In a message dated 3/30/2007 23:47:12 Pacific Daylight Time,
bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz writes:

Thermal  noise and other noise in each channel are statistically
independent and  their product averages to zero.
The actual residual decreases as the number  of spectra averaged increases.

Hi Bruce,

hmmm. Not sure I understand. I thought that if you average Gaussian noise
sources the noise would only be reduced by a factor of root(n), n being the
number of channels; and not totally cancel out? Is the difference caused by
creating a product of the two channels rather than a summation?

bye,
Said