[time-nuts] Software Sawtooth correction prerequisites?

Jim Miller jim at jtmiller.com
Sat May 12 03:43:38 UTC 2007

Hi Tom

I thought the 1ns resolution phase detector combined with a significant
phase error in a PLL could generate a number large enough to need a 4 byte
representation which would then need signed arithmetic done on it.
Accumulating many of those over the integration period means even greater
precision in the PI software. Lots of work for a little PIC. Lesser
resolution means easier computation although 1 second is a long time.

I finally found where the sawtooth info comes from: the RAIM message...I
mentioned I was a newbie. Since it is just an signed 8bit number in
nanoseconds and is in the <50ns range it doesn't seem too useful if a low
resolution phase detector has already quantized the phase sample. I suppose
it could be accumulated anyway in the off chance the mean of the errors was
significantly non-zero.

I'm strictly an amateur looking at building a GPSDO for a workbench
frequency standard and perhaps for occasional use on a ham rig. My
oscillator will most likely be a HP10811 or similar.

Your simulator sounds interesting. Would it need to be built on a commercial
package?

tnx
jim miller
ab3cv