[time-nuts] Scanning darkly

Jack Hudler jack at hudler.org
Mon May 14 05:59:28 UTC 2007

Yes on this type of document (where the screen angle is 45 degrees),
LPI=DPI. Sorry for the confusion; printer speak.
A halftone image can contain dot's of varying sizes or perceived shades of
grey (look at news paper image under magnification).
Depending on the plate, press and paper a halftone dot can be as large as
(on a 133 LPI) .0075" to as small as .001" with 64 sizes in between.
I hope this makes sense; When scanning a halftone image (where the dot size
varies), to a continuous color device (a square pixel doesn't), you have to
over sample (LPI*2=scan DPI) the line to retrieve the information for single
halftone dot. This dot may be spread across at most 4 pixels. A Gaussian
blur then combines information from those 4 pixels in to 1 and so on.
It can be hard reading an image from one model that was meant to fool your
eye only to move it into another, only to fool yourself again. :)

I noticed that your Epson 3170 outputs 16 bit grayscale! Use it!

I just hope you dealing with round halftone dots and not something fancy.