[time-nuts] NTP problem on Windows

Tim Shoppa shoppa at trailing-edge.com
Thu May 17 00:38:10 UTC 2007

"Joseph Gray" <jgray at zianet.com> wrote:
> > What are the actual IP addresses of the servers they are syncing to?
> >
> > Bruce
>
> The one with the correct time:
> Sync to: 64.5.1.130 Offset: 38.346ms Stratum: 3
>
> The one with the wrong time:
> Sync to: 24.123.66.139 Offset: -1.074ms Stratum: 3

At my QTH both of those servers are Stratum 2 and within a few hundredths
of a second of the Right Time.

Odd that you see them as Stratum 3, maybe you've got a firewall pulling
tricks on you :-).

The best way to configure a NTP client is with multiple (preferably
3 or 4) servers, ideally nearby network-wise and diverse time-source
wise. It's pretty sad how almost all stratum 1's are locked to GPS
these days. If your NTP software doesn't support multiple servers,
it is REALLY REALLY a good idea to move to something that does...
hint: check out http://www.ntp.org/

Tim.