[time-nuts] Z3801A with other GPS receiver

Dr Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Fri May 18 21:20:00 UTC 2007

Jason Rabel wrote:
> I thought you had to use a VP in 6 channel mode for it to work on the
> Z3801A?
>
> Jason
>

>> If it uses the Motorola propietary commands, a M12 should be quite
>> compatible. I think a have somewhere some older documentation about the
>> @@ commands used in the 8-channel GPSs, but I think that they are quite
>> the same for all Motorola GPSs.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Javier, EA1CRB

Jason

If one reads the M12 user manual, it states that there were some changes
in the commands and messages from those used by older receivers.
All the required data is available perhaps in a different message.
Thus as Tom indicated a processor would be needed to translate between
the two different dialects.

Bruce