[time-nuts] NTP offset

Peter Vince pvince at theiet.org
Sat May 19 09:12:50 UTC 2007

Hi Mike,

	I wonder if this can be corrected more easily at the source?
Does the encoder have a network connection to get the time, or an
(SMPTE) timecode input?  If the latter, it should be reasonably easy
to get a box that would offset this timecode by whatever you need.
That way, all receivers would output time matched to the audio, not
just yours.

	Ideally, of course, the receiver manufacturer should modify
their firmware to correct the problem, but that will take a lot of
time and money.  I did wonder whether the NTP data was dliberatley
output without delay to provide the best "Real Time of Day" service,
but with the satellite delay of about a quarter of a second it will
never be very good, but maybe better than one second late?

		Peter