[time-nuts] New Trimble timing products

Didier Juges didier at cox.net
Tue May 22 04:41:28 UTC 2007

Tom Van Baak wrote:
>> I asked and got a quote for small quantities of the Resolution-T GPS
>> receiver (specified at 15nS rms from UTC) and the Mini-T GPSDO from the
>> local Trimble rep.
>>
>> In qty 1-9, the Resolution-T GPS receiver (bare board) is $75, and the
>> Mini-T (which is a complete embedded GPSDO on a PWB) is $945.
>>
>> Unless you need the very small form factor and low power consumption,
>> and unless the performance (so far, data is unavailable, I have asked
>> for Allan Variance data) is outstanding, the Fury is a better deal, in
>> my opinion.
>>
>> Didier KO4BB
>>

> At $75 the Resolution-T is an extremely good deal. See:
>
> http://www.leapsecond.com/pages/res-t/
>
> The Fury is much more expensive -- but remember it's a full
> GPSDO not just a GPS timing receiver board, so it's not a
> fair comparison. It all depends on what your needs are. See:
>
> http://www.leapsecond.com/pages/fury/
>
> If you have comments let me know. I also have a Mini-T coming
> and will report on that later. Hang on to your Z3801A's.
>
> /tvb

I was comparing the Mini-T and the Fury. The Resolution-T is just
a receiver, no OCXO and no disciplining logic.

I got a reply from Jim Early (Trimble's sales manager). He said the
Allan variance for the Mini-T is essentially the same as the
Thunderbolt. I did not ask if this was measured in an enclosure or in
open air.

I have asked for more data and who makes the OCXO. It seems strange
that with a much smaller OCXO, they could keep the short term thermal
variations in check as well as the Thunderbolt, with its much larger
size and the aluminum enclosure. Maybe the slightly better GPS receiver
(15nS versus 20nS) exactly compensates for the presumed worse OCXO?

I could not figure if the Resolution-T (or Mini-T) provides carrier
phase data.

I do not know if Trimble still sells the original Thunderbolt, but as
of a year ago or so, they wanted something like $1,600 for one piece.
The Mini-T is certainly much less costly, for about the same advertised
performance. It better be, it looks a lot less expensive to manufacture.

Didier KO4BB