[time-nuts] Pendulums & Atomic Clocks & Gravity

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Sat May 26 19:02:39 UTC 2007

> Then a pendulum calculator at:
> http://www.ajdesigner.com/phppendulum/simple_pendulum_equation_period.php
> allows solving any of 8 pendulum related equations.

Note that this simplistic l/g formula does not characterize the
period of precision pendulum clocks, as it ignores factors
such as circular error, and a host of other static and dynamic
corrections. But it should be good enough for your SWCC.

> Tom has pointed out that the stability limit on pendulum clocks is in the area
> of 1E-7 because of the complex effect of the Sun and Moon on the value of "g".
> http://www.leapsecond.com/hsn2006/ch1.htm

> Gravity also effects atomic clocks, see: http://www.leapsecond.com/great2005/
> and this puts a limit on what can be done with any atomic clock that's on
> Earth.  "g" will always have minor fluctuations (noise) due to all sorts of
> things like the Sun, Moon, planets, asteroids, earthquakes, etc.  It's still a
> direct "g" effect called red shift like (U2 − U1)/c2, where the Us are
> gravitational potentials, only smaller by c squared.

Mostly Sun (