[time-nuts] Pendulums & Atomic Clocks & Gravity

Jean-Louis Oneto Jean-Louis.Oneto at obs-azur.fr
Sat May 26 20:25:43 UTC 2007

Hi,
I think that on a satellite orbiting around the Earth, only the
gravitational field of the Earth is zeroed, since it is equivalent to a
freefall in the Earth gravitational field. The effects of all others
perturbations are exactly the same (if you neglect the altitude of the
satellite with respect to the Earth-Sun or Earth-Moon distances). Beside
that, the Doppler effects (both classical and relativistic) are not
negligible at all and are in fact corrected in GPS by offsets in the onboard
clocks, steered to UTC(USNO).
Have a nice day,
Jean-Louis Oneto
OCA GEMINI - Avenue Copernic - 06130 Grasse - France