[time-nuts] Pendulums & Atomic Clocks & Gravity

Brooke Clarke brooke at pacific.net
Sun May 27 02:23:46 UTC 2007

Hi Mike:

Yes, it has an invar rod pendulum.  I haven't taken it apart but expect there
are compensating metals being used.  I've heard a well tuned version of this
clock lost 15 seconds in 70 days.  But in use the USNO supplied a synchronizing
pulse on the hour so they really only needed to run for an hour.  See:
C:\Webdocs_Hosted\I\SWCC.shtml for the self winding clock and
http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/history.html for some USNO history.

The clock above has just minute and hour hands but the movement is designed to
also support a second hand.  I have another clock coming that has the second
hand.  The Self Winding design is still being used in the London underground.

These are not what's a called precision clock, but rather are what I'd call
functional commercial clocks.  In-between consumer clocks and precision clocks.

As far as I can tell the Russion Fedchenko observatory clock was the ultimate.
    About 2 milliseconds per day.

Have Fun,

Brooke Clarke
http://www.PRC68.com