[time-nuts] The first "time nut"?

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Sun May 27 18:09:14 UTC 2007

My mention of Alfred Loomis prompted me to get the book out and I found
this quote (p. 70 of the hardcover edition):

"
Loomis would remain a "time nut" for the rest of his life, according to
Luis Alvarez, who recalled that Loomis always wore "two Accutrons -- one
on his right wrist and one on his left wrist."  He would check them
every day against WWV (the standard frequency broadcasting station of
the National Bureau of Standards), and if one was gaining a half second
on the other, he would wear it on the outside of his wrist instead of
the inside, so that gravity changed the rate of the tuning fork and the
two watches tracked each other, and WWV, "to within less than a second a
day."
"

I know that at least one of us (not me!) was photographed in his younger
days wearing one watch on each wrist...

John